Acid Alkaline Balance Diet
The foods and beverages you consume daily have a profound effect on your health and well-being. Research shows that many chronic diseases are linked with eating a highly acidic diet. You can restore or maintain optimal health by eating more of the right foods. An alkaline diet aims to support your internal organ systems and your body's overall health.
High Acid-Forming Diets and Acidosis
The Standard American Diet is highly acid-forming, overwhelming the body's mechanisms for removing excess acid.
- The staples of the American Diet are meat, dairy, corn, wheat and refined sugars (all acidifying foods).
- This diet is notably deficient in alkalizing fruits and vegetables.
High acid-forming diets that cannot be properly digested acidify body tissue. This may eventually lead to Chronic Acidosis.
What is Acidosis?
- Acidosis is an increased acidity in the blood and other body tissue. It is said to occur when arterial pH falls below 7.35. The pH level of our blood affects every cell in our body.
- When our body pH becomes overly acidic, it starts to set up defense mechanisms to keep the damaging acids from entering the vital organs.
What does Chronic Acidosis do?
- Chronic Acidosis contributes to many diseases such as Chrohn's disease, diverticulitis, cancer, strokes and diabetes.
- Chronic Acidosis forces the body to constantly deplete its cellular energy to neutralize and detoxify these acids before they can act as poisons which may eventually compromise the immune system.
- An alkaline diet is a plant-based diet that emphasizes alkaline foods such as fruits, green vegetables, lentils, spices, herbs and seasonings, and seeds and nuts.
- Alkaline foods tend to be raw and unprocessed. Think of fresh leafy greens, salads, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. The more colorful your diet, the better off you will be.
- This diet is highly recommended for those who feel tired most of the time. Stress and a low energy level can both be treated with a diet that is "acid alkaline balanced."
Alkaline Foods for Athletes
Alkaline foods are especially important when considering nutrition for athletes. The alkaline or acid attributes of foods are a factor when the body uses them for fuel. Without consuming enough alkaline foods to help manage that delicate blood pH balance, the body has to utilize calcium from bones in order to counteract leftover acid in the bloodstream.
This results in bone weakness.
Athletes should consume good quality proteins instead of acid-forming proteins which are difficult to digest and slow the body down. Plant-based proteins help protect against chronic degenerative diseases, are low in saturated fat, and promote an overall healthy body.
Holistic Nutrition Courses at the College of Natural Health
At the College of Natural Health, we teach the Acid Alkaline Balance Diet in our natural health and nutrition programs.
Our students realize the importance of eating an Acid Alkaline Balance of Alkaline Foods at an 80% alkaline-forming to a 20% acid-forming ratio.
- This diet is a key foundation for practicing a holistic lifestyle and helping to restore or maintain an individual’s optimum health.
- This diet also helps to oxygenate body tissue and assist the sports athlete to maintain the highest quality of power, strength and endurance and avoid being prone to injuries.
PHONE: 1 (888) 397-9394 or 1 (877) 431-1962